GRADUATE STUDIES IN ECONOMICS
For admission into the PhD or MA program, applicants must fulfill normal university admissions procedures and the following program specific requirements:
PhD Program Specific Admission Requirements
- Must have achieved at least a 3.33/4.33 (B+) average or equivalent in their Master’s studies in Economics or a related field of study at a recognized university in North America or abroad*.
- Provide two academic letters of reference from former instructors at the MA or equivalent level.
Provide a statement of interest. Your statment should be approximately 500 words long and include the following:
- your reasons for graduate study in Economics;
- the research interest(s) you may wish to pursue;
how your previous studies and experience have prepared you for the PhD program; and
- your career objectives and how the PhD program relates to them.
To review a listing of all required documents, please refer to 'Required Documents' found on the Graduate Admissions website:
*Applicants with Master’s degrees in fields other than economics, such as MA or MSc in Finance, MA or MSc in Mathematics, MA or MSc in Mathematical Finance, may apply to the PhD program. They must have achieved at least a B+ average in their respective Master’s studies and have taken some advanced undergraduate or graduate courses in microeconomics and macroeconomics. However, for applicants who do not have an MA or MSc in Economics, it is advisable to apply to the MA in International Economics and Finance. An admissions committee appointed by the GPD will evaluate the complete file of each applicant and decide on acceptance/rejection of the applicant into the PhD program.